Storm Aftermath Brings Carbon Monoxide Calls | Home & Garden
City of Madison firefighters responded to 11 carbon monoxide calls on Wednesday, beginning shortly after midnight, according to fire officials.
In virtually every circumstance, the cause of the carbon monoxide buildup was snow-and ice-covered furnace vents. The calls came in both from residents who were alerted by a carbon monoxide alarm and those who called with symptoms of dizziness and/or nausea, officials said.
Fire crews said they used tire chains for much of the day and relied on the city streets department only twice to assist with plows to get to calls.
Navigating city streets was made easier by the lighter traffic, with many people heeding warnings to stay off the roads, officials said.