A fire caused about $10,000 in damage to the attic and roof of Memorial Union on the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus Monday morning, according to UW-Madison police.
Firefighters were called to the union at 7:38 a.m., and responding firefighters reported seeing light smoke coming from the side and roof of the building.
Construction workers told firefighters the fire started near the ground level of the theater. Fire officials said the fire worked up a wall and into the attic and roof.
The fire was started by construction on the site, according to UW-Madison police. A worker was using a cutting tool and accidentally ignited flammable materials in the area.
"They were doing kind of the final steps of demolition in the area where they're trying to remove stuff in the theater to be able to go in and start doing the remodel," said Sgt. Aaron Chapin, of the UW-Madison Police Department.